Could This Be The End For The Dynamic Duo?
Anthony DiComo of Mets.com says that we may be looking at the end of the Mets Dynamic Duo, Jose Reyes and David Wright, and the possibility that they may not even last the season together is very real and distinct.
But now, nearly 10 years after their first encounter, the left side of the infield seems destined to split. Wright is under contract in New York for two more years with an option for a third, while Reyes can be a free agent at season’s end. Even if the shortstop wants to return, the Mets may not have the means to retain him.
For one of this generation’s most exciting, talented and complementary tandems, the end may be drawing near.
It’s going to be tough to see these two Mets cornerstones playing in different cities and torn asunder before their 29th birthdays. But the financial strain of keeping Reyes and then trying to lock up Wright soon after, may soon hasten their their doom as the left side of the Mets infield.
“I’ve never looked over to my left and seen anybody else there,” Wright said. “I would hope that that’s not the case.”
Not long after Wright offered those words, Reyes walked over to their mutual corner of the spring clubhouse and the two exchanged their usual banter.
“I can’t imagine playing with another third baseman,” Reyes said later, after Wright was out of earshot. “I don’t want to even think about that.”
I don’t even want to think about it either.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
25 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- RandomGuy: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: really.... your idea of optimists and pessimists is...
- Matt Mosher: on First Rounder Dominic Smith Agrees To Deal With Mets: Say nothing of the liklihood that Austin...
- Vinny B.: on First Rounder Dominic Smith Agrees To Deal With Mets: You cherry picked the best teams from...
- Metsie: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: HAHAHAHAHAHA Got caught in your denial Lies...
- Matt Mosher: on First Rounder Dominic Smith Agrees To Deal With Mets: It would certainly be nice to have...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!