Alright, our boys went out there this weekend and swept a three game series from the Arizona Diamondbacks, for the Mets their first series sweep of the season. They also have a modest four game winning streak. It was a busy weekend for me with my daughter’s birthday and Easter Sunday, but yes we do have time for 3 Up and 3 Down (quite frankly, I had a tough time with the 3 down).
1) Starting Pitching: It stands to reason, the longer into games the starting pitchers go, the better the bullpen will be, and that was the case this past weekend. Mike Pelfrey (7 IP, 1 R, 1 ER,), Dillon Gee (6 IP, 4 R, 2 ER), and Jon Niese (7 IP, 3 R, 2 ER), were just outstanding this weekend! Nice job guys, lets keep it up.
2) David Wright: David has broken out of his slump in a big way, hitting two home runs on Easter Sunday. David, it’s great to have you back, try and stick around this time.
3) Ike Davis: Two home runs in the first two games of this series, including a Ruthian shot deep into the Pepsi Porch on Saturday! Ike’s shot in Sunday was one of the longest home runs I’ve seen hit at Citifield.
1) Top of Arizona’s Lineup: According to my unofficial records, the number 1 and number 2 slots in the D’Back’s line-up were 3 for 23 this weekend. With your top two guys not producing, you’re just not going to win very many games.
2) Josh Thole: Josh still seems to be having trouble getting on track offensively going 1-7 this weekend, His average for the season is now at .226. Come on Josh we need you start hitting.
3) Those Who Rushed To Judgment: Lot’s of fans, and the New York Yankee media were all over the Mets for their slow start. Now after a modest winning streak, some of those people are starting to think twice. A headline in Sunday’s Daily News read: “THE SEASON MAY NOT BE LOST.” How, after about 20 games into the season, can anyone be writing anyone off is beyond belief. Look, the Mets are rebuilding here, there will be high points, and yeah there will be low points, but I still expect our guys to be at or about .500. Heck, 85 wins, would be great.