Spring Update: No Difference, This Is Hell, Niese Is Maturing
Pitching coach Dan Warthen has done an about face after gloating about how good Oliver Perez looked early this spring. Yesterday Warthen said that Oliver Perez looked “no different” after throwing a bullpen session than he did in his Grapefruit League start last Saturday. Sounds like Warthen has had enough of Ollie’s act too. Hang in there Mets fans, it’s only a matter of time now.
Yesterday, Baseball America reported that the Mets had signed 27-year-old RHP Jack Egbert. The Staten Island native and Rutgers alumnus, last pitched in 2009 and has missed the last 15 months due to elbow and shoulder injuries. In 771 minor league innings he struck out 667 batters and walked just 254.
Met owners are hitting a brick wall as they try to secure more financing to cover their debt obligations for the 2011 season. You could read more about that in the NY Post and the NY Times, who also add that MLB has refused to lend the Mets any more cash after exhausting their $75 Million credit line and getting a personal loan from Bud Selig’s discretionary account. Meanwhile, Bob Klapisch rips into the situation and concludes that “this is hell for everyone. If the Wilpons really loved the Mets and their fans, they’d sell — sell everything — and just disappear.”
Finally, on a positive note, Mets left hander Jonathon Niese is really beginning to show signs of maturing. Yesterday, Niese tossed three scoreless innings, but was very concerned about allowing a pair of two-out walks. “Obviously, there are some things I need to work on. Those two walks – I can’t issue two-out walks. I think I need to do better working ahead in the count.”
Niese is seen discussing his outing in todays video which comes courtesy of ESPN New York.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- philipag: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: It would seem to me that any...
- Mitchell: on Reds vs Mets: Harvey Looks For Sixth Win, Hawkins Unavailable Today, Red Hot Byrd Batting Fifth: The bullpen has been much better. I'm...
- Joe: on Reds vs Mets: Harvey Looks For Sixth Win, Hawkins Unavailable Today, Red Hot Byrd Batting Fifth: Neither one of those players are doing...
- Michelle: on Reds vs Mets: Harvey Looks For Sixth Win, Hawkins Unavailable Today, Red Hot Byrd Batting Fifth: Ankiel is red hot!
- Connor O'Brien: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: The Nationals have done that very well.
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!