Opening Day 2011: New Season, New Memories
Tomorrow is Opening Day of the 2011 Baseball Season and although the weatherman says ‘snow’ — Major League Baseball says “Play Ball’. If the weather is inclement they will either play through the snowflakes, or postpone the game until the next day.
Opening Day has a special meaning for a lot of us who live in the Northeast and have been baseball fans since childhood. Of course, Dad would take us out of school for Opening Day – it was expected. It was magic to walk through the tunnels and see the green grass and the pristine look of a stadium after the bleak winters of the Northeast.
There are two groups/types of people who attend Opening Day every year;
Group #1 – The regulars. The die-hards, Those who have been waiting all winter for this day just to see their team and eat, drink and be merry.
Group #2 – The VIPs. Those who are not sure who’s playing since they are in a suite being catered to with TV’s splattered all over.
The second group usually don’t even know the players names – home or visitors. But the ”regulars” – those are the ones who try to attend every game and follow their team like a beat reporter.
It’s my season for sports and for the next six months, there is always a baseball game to follow every day. I’m from the old school – if they are playing, I must see or hear it live – it’s the only way.
I live too far from three ballparks to make the trip daily, and I have been to all three ballparks and seen games there. However, I cannot forget the good ol’ days with the transistor radio tucked under my pillow
So it begins, and I want to wish everyone a happy season -
And for the players themselves – Thank You.
About the Author: Former Writers
4 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Joey D.: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: Hi Joe D., Wonder how that sits with...
- Saturn: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: I do not get at all the...
- Ron: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: This team is just so bad it's...
- philipag: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Yes - Keith had ego - but...
- rob: on Mets Appealing Harvey Earned Run, Want Tejada Charged With Error: We've gone from "The Time is Now"...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!