Oliver Perez Era Is Winding Down
The Mets are playing the Oliver Perez saga down to the very end.
In holding to their word they’d give Perez a chance to make it as a starter, GM Sandy Alderson and manager Terry Collins made the trip Tuesday to watch Perez get whipped by Houston, giving up three runs in three innings in what would be his last start with the Mets.
Alderson confirmed that today, saying Perez’s slim chance of sticking with the team was now out of the bullpen.
Kudos to Collins for sticking to his word making the two-hour bus ride to Kissimmee to watch Perez when the easy thing to do was let pitching coach Dan Warthen scout the long-shot for him. It will go a long way toward Collins gaining credibility with his new team.
Perez, who once threw 95 mph. consistently, topped out at 88 yesterday. That’s not going to cut it as a starter, and with his lack of command, it won’t help him out of the pen, either. And, there are no signs of him regaining the velocity or getting the command he never had.
A discouraged Perez told reporters: “I feel good because I’ve been doing everything I can. I can’t do any more, and you have to understand that baseball is like this.’’
Soon, the inevitable will occur and the Mets will release Perez and painfully swallow the $12 million due him. That decision won’t create the euphoria from Mets fans that it would have last year, or even during the off-season.
I’m not buying that holding onto Perez this long has hurting ticket sales. Perez was simply a symbol of what has gone wrong with this franchise, not the entire explanation.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
1 Comment + Add Comment
- Alex68: on Things Spiralling Out Of Control For Ike Davis Offensively And Defensively: Ok, mention the word STAR 1B? look...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Power Prospect Cory Vaughn Is On A Mission: Hopefully they select Wilson if he is...
- jessep: on Things Spiralling Out Of Control For Ike Davis Offensively And Defensively: I'm not sure why you are denying...
- Mr North Jersey: on Things Spiralling Out Of Control For Ike Davis Offensively And Defensively: To say Ike is struggling is an...
- Matt: on Shin-Soo Choo Could Be Impact Center Fielder And Leadoff Man For Mets In 2014: I like Choo...he's a .290 hitter with...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!