Mike Piazza In PSL Today; Talks about Ownership, Wilpons with Reporters
Look who’s back!?
Mike Piazza is in Port St. Lucie today to coach the Italian baseball team, against the Mets team of prospects.
He seemed to be very cool, calm, and collected.
Before he went to the field to get ready for the game, Piazza did a 10 minute session with reporters.
He talked to them about ownership, the Wilpons, and other things.
This was what he told reporters about becoming a owner in MLB.
Would I be interested in possibly getting involved in a group to buy a team? Probably. I’ve been thinking about it. I think that would be something that would probably suit my desire, at least, to get into the game. I don’t really see myself on the field all the time, or in the boardroom all the time. But I feel like maybe I can bring certain intangibles to both. And having the credibility of being on the field and also getting to know some of the administrative aspects of the sport would be something I’d be interested in.
Mike Piazza was also asked about Wilpons legal issues ahead. This was what Mike Piazza said about the situation.
“When I was there, the Wilpons treated me great. I feel bad what’s going on. I’m sure when everything gets ironed out, hopefully things will work out well for them. Personally speaking, I think back to the celebration they gave me when I broke the record [for most homers by a catcher]. They treated me great. They treated my family great, my wife. I’m definitely in their corner, hoping this thing gets ironed out. At the end of the day, I still think the fans hopefully concentrate on baseball and realize they still have some really good players. They have David Wright and Angel Pagan. I met him … and he was the nicest kid.
Mike also said that he is in their corner, and expects the Wilpons to be ok as far as he is concerned.
Some other noteworthy stuff from Piazzas session with reporters:
- He was not aware that Bobby V is looking into joining a group to buy the Mets. He told reporters that is “funny”.
- He enjoys coaching the Italian team, because he is getting back into the game of baseball without committing to a position like in MLB.
- He joked that his wife likes him coaching because it gets him out of the house.
Photo Credit: Ted Berg and MetsBlog.com
About the Author: Brandon Butler
Brandon is lifelong Met fan and enjoys sharing his opinions on MMO. He is also the co-host of the Mets Madness Podcast.
5 Comments + Add Comment
- Bob Walsh: on Striking Fool’s Gold With Granderson: Because we have so many home run...
- Bob Walsh: on Striking Fool’s Gold With Granderson: You're making way too much sense!
- Bob Walsh: on Striking Fool’s Gold With Granderson: That's why I qualified it with 'if...
- WilponsStink: on Ike Davis Could Be An Ex-Met By End Of Week: This deal, if it happens, will be...
- taskmaster4450: on Hart Is Torn Between Mariners and Brewers Offers: That was before Seattle wrote a big...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!