Let’s Not Go Overboard With Praising Alderson
Let’s be careful not to go overboard in praising the Sandy Alderson regime for the sacking of Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez. Credit to Alderson goes in finally convincing the Wilpons eating $18 million in salary was the prudent option.
The actual decision itself was a no-brainer in that neither would be a viable contributor to the team, both were an emotional and psychological drains in the clubhouse, and to adequately change the culture of the Mets they must be purged.
There was no real thinking that had to be done and the key was in the timing. Alderson knew he couldn’t trade either in the off-season because of their salary, performance and injury histories. His only hope for Castillo was he could find his game and prove enough in spring training to warrant going north; for Perez was he could regain his fastball and hook on in a relief role.
Both were long shots, but Alderson had no choice to bring them to spring training and let it play itself out.
Since neither distinguished himself in the positive, it was time to make the move. With Opening Day rapidly approaching and the Mets playing at a .500 pace and little room for optimism, Alderson needed to make a spark and this was it.
This was a move the Mets needed to make so let’s not throw roses at Alderson for doing the obvious.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
58 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- Lareplus: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: What about the Mets getting Kolten Wong,...
- Brendan: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: The more I see the Mets hitting...
- RKH: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: Well this certainly is not good news....
- DrDooby: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: If the Mets were contending, then yes...
- DrDooby: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: From 1989 where things started to derail...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!