It Gets Worse: Mets May Need Another Loan
The New York Post has broken the news that the Mets are looking for even more loan. They want tens of millions of dollars and all of this money is just to cover the team’s basic operating expenses.
The Wilpons should be focusing on selling a large chunk of the team at this point. It is beyond obvious that the Madoff scandal is greatly impacting the team’s finances.
The article also mentions that the Mets received a $430 million loan from JP Morgan Chase last year. The bank is trying to recruit other banks to put together a loan to help the Mets until the Wilpons sell a majority stake in the team.
Sources are uncertain about if the Mets can actually pay back the loan. They believe this is a very risk move considering the team could lose as much as $50 million this year.
After the Mets received a loan from the MLB, their debt total reached $505 million. Depending on the team’s worth, they could have enough money to secure another loan. It all depends on what the team is valued at.
Payments to players may eventually become an issue if the team cannot secure another loan. This could decimate the team chemistry.
It has also been revealed that banks have been selling some of the Mets debt off form 90 cents on the dollar. They believe that the Mets are a risky investment and are trying to lower their exposure.
The new loan might help the team avoid defaulting on their existing debt. This is quickly turning into a very ugly situation for the team. There will likely be major changes with the organization before the end of the season.
About the Author: Former Writers
37 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: lol...thx I hijacked it from google
- TexasGusCC: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: Joe, that's what I was thinking. ...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: Did you see Quintanilla play SS last...
- Teddy Klein: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: Murphy strikes out a ton, Flores barely...
- pburke: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: How can you argue that without knowing...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!