The following research and data was submitted by one of our readers, T Agee for posting on MMO.
It represents the last 20 Years of Mets payroll and results in four categories as compared to the rest of the league.
In addition to total payroll, the other four categories are:
1. Sub .500 record in last 20 years.
2. Sub .500 record with 90 or more losses in last 20 years.
3. Above .500 record with 90 or more wins in last 20 years.
4. Post Season appearances in last 20 years.
Here are those results and you can click the chart to see a larger version…
*** (only been in existence for 18 years)
** (only been in existence for 13 years)
* (1994 was strike shortened season that ended 8/11/1994)
Note: (1991-1993 Brewers were in AL East before realignment)
Here also is the accompanying graph, which you can click to enlarge…
1. The Mets have had spent the most money in payroll in the NL in the last 20 years, over $1.5 billion dollars.
2. Only the Nats/Expos and the Pirates have had more 90 loss seasons than the Mets who had six during this span.
3. The Mets have had 11 sub .500 seasons in the last 20 years.
Obviously, there is plenty of room for improvement as you can tell from this data. Outspending the rest of the league has led to more losing seasons than winning seasons for the Mets.
This was a Fan Post by T Agee.