Top Remaining Free Agents
There is still plenty of offseason left and yesterday in an interview with Adam Rubin, Sandy Alderson said he still intends to focus on acquiring another starter, a reliever, and a 4th or 5th outfielder.
Although, most of these following names may be a little to rich for the Mets taste, here is a list of the top ten remaining free agents as compiled by MLB Trade Rumors:
1. Rafael Soriano - The Yankees might be in, but the White Sox, Rangers and Cardinals don’t appear to have interest. Are the Angels going to step up after a relatively quiet winter?
2. Carl Pavano - The Twins are closing in on a deal with the right-hander.
3. Jim Thome (18) – Thome will play in 2011, but it’s hard to predict which team will sign him. To vote on the slugger’s future, click here.
4. Vladimir Guerrero - The Orioles, Angels and Rays are reportedly interested in Vlad.
5. Manny Ramirez - Predicting Manny’s next team isn’t much easier than predicting his next quirky move. There’s a good chance he ends up DHing on a one-year deal.
6. Andy Pettitte - - The veteran lefty is still undecided about his future, so the Yankees are still in limbo.
7. Brian Fuentes - The Pirates aren’t pursuing Fuentes, but the Blue Jays and Rays are among the lefty’s many suitors.
8. Kevin Millwood - The Rockies, Cubs and Royals have been linked to Millwood this offseason.
9. Grant Balfour - Balfour, a Type A free agent, will cost a draft pick. The O’s expressed interest before signing Kevin Gregg, but it’s not clear if the team is still considering Balfour.
10. Scott Podsednik - The Angels are in on Podsednik and the Reds maintain interest, though they added the left-handed hitting Jeremy Hermida.
Now, here is a list of players that I sorted by SP, RP and OF that the Mets might be considering, but keep in mind that as per Alderson’s comments yesterday, the Mets are not currently negotiating with any players at the moment and have not gotten past the discussion stage with anyone including Jeff Francis and Chris Young.
- Brian Bannister
- Eric Bedard
- Jeremy Bonderman
- Bruce Chen
- Justin Duchscherer
- Jeff Francis
- Freddy Garcia
- Kevin Millwood
- Jeff Suppan
- Chris Young
Left Handed Relievers
- Joe Beimel
- Tim Byrdak
- Randy Flores
- Brian Fuentes
- Ron Mahay
- Dennys Reyes
- Scott Schoeneweis
- Taylor Tankersley
- Garrett Anderson
- Willie Bloomquist
- Johnny Damon
- Gabe Gross
- Jose Guillen
- Willie Harris
- Reed Johnson
- Lastings Milledge
- Laynce Nix
- Scott Podsednik
- Cory Sullivan
- Marcus Thames
- Randy Winn
- Dewayne Wise
There’s still pleanty of good and useful parts out there to fill in some of the gaps on the roster.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
8 Comments + Add Comment
- Schneck: on Mets Bring Back Jeremy Hefner: Good move and many made something out...
- Schneck: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: Please let's not be in a position...
- Joey D.: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: Hi Sloatsburg, After playing his first four professional...
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: Vin, All due respect, that order is awful!!!...
- Hank: on While Things Are Not Yet Set, Collins Says Lagares Will Be In His Outfield: I was just about to post that...the...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!