The Mets And Bargain Hunting
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes that with the holiday break now over, the “second season’’ of the Hot Stove is about to begin. He lists the Mets among some teams who might benefit from bargain basement players or January trades.
Since they couldn’t enter into the primary market because of budget constraints , the Mets have to rebuild their pitching with the secondary market. They’ll have to take chances and hope to get lucky. Jeff Francis, Bruce Chen, Brian Burres, Kevin Millwood, Brad Penny, Freddy Garcia, and Jeremy Bonderman — OK, none of them are great — are all out there as possible rotation pieces. Don’t expect the Phillies to deal Joe Blanton within the division.
During the last day of the Winter Meetings last month, Sandy Alderson said in a couple of interviews that he would probably wait until January before addressing some of the team’s needs including starting pitching.
Jon Heyman of S.com, still includes the Mets among teams with interest in free agent lefty reliever Brian Fuentes, although he wouldn’t exactly be considered a bargain based on what his asking price is.
That said, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York writes that the remaining left-handed relievers on the free-agent market include: Joe Beimel, Tim Byrdak, Hideki Okajima, Will Ohman, Dennys Reyes, Ron Mahay and Randy Flores. The Mets have had interest in Beimel and Ohman in past offseasons.
Happy Birthday to former Mets pitcher, David Cone.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
11 Comments + Add Comment
- Dave In Spain: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Valdy as a starter: ...
- Metsie: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Oh plase because Daniel Murphy, Jordany Valdespin...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: That's actually a pretty cool idea. Would...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Didn't say he completely relied on the...
- Donal: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: How many moved for baseball? How many...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!