Nationals Acquire Tom Gorzelanny From Cubs
According to ESPN Chicago, the Nationals have acquired LHP Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs in exchange for three minor league prospects — two pitchers and an outfielder, according to two major league sources.
Gorzelanny was 7-9 with a 4.09 ERA last season, and last week there was speculation that the Mets might be interested in acquiring the left hander.
Last month, Mike Puma of the New York Post said he Sandy Alderson asked the Cubs about Gorzelanny, since they were intrigued by his 119 strikeouts in 136 innings.
He became available after the Cubs acquired Matt Garza in a trade with the Rays several weeks ago.
The 28-year-old had his best season in 2007, when he posted a 3.88 ERA in 201 2/3 innings for the Pirates. He is arbitration eligible for the second time and earned just $800K last year. He will be under team control through the 2012 season.
The trade is pending a physical that Gorzelanny is expected to take on Tuesday.
Don’t look now, but here come the Nationals…
About the Author: Rob Johnson
40 Comments + Add Comment
- Metfan Lou: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: Look guys we are 10 games out...
- gorgeguy: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: No .. just throw a prospect into...
- Jimmy Pernil: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: AAA is meaningless. There's nothing to be...
- Mojo: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: What doe's it cost us financially and...
- Metstheory22: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: He pitched well for us once we...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!