Kris Benson Retires; Says “Im Done”
According to Doug Miller of MLB.com, former Mets starter Kris Benson has apparently retired, saying “I’m done”.
Benson pitched for the Mets in 2004 and 2005 after he was acquired with Jeff Keppinger in exchange for Ty Wigginton and Jose Bautista. (yes, that Jose Bautista!)
Benson went 14-12 as a Met with a 4.23 ERA in 242 1/3 innings. He was traded to the Orioles prior to the 2006 season in exchange for Jorge Julio and John Maine.
As a member of the D’Backs this season, Benson only appeared in 3 games, and went 1-1, with a 5.14 ERA.
“I decided pretty much after this past season that I wasn’t going to pursue anything. I’ve been putting way too much into it and not getting enough out of it, as far as the rehab, working out, training, and then not getting the type of results I expect from myself. I wanted to make this decision now, rather than go into another season on another Minor League deal. I didn’t want to go through the head games of, ‘Am I going to make the team?’ I don’t mind the pressure. I just don’t want to fall into another situation like I had the last couple years, where I busted my tail getting back and then got hurt again shortly after I made the team”
Kris Benson has had injury problems in the past couple of years. In 2007, he tore his rotator cuff, and started his comeback in 09 as the opening day starter for the Texas Rangers. Unfortunately, he was released, and the stint he had with the D’Backs wasn’t successful either, which led to his retirement.
About the Author: Brandon Butler
Brandon is currently a MMO Minor League Staff Writer. He is also the co-host of the Mets Madness Podcast on Talkshoe Radio. Brandon lives in Hornell, NY.
5 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- Boomer: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: We’ve been waiting for this doubleheader for...
- Mr North Jersey: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Congrats to Wheeler on his MLB Debut...
- Mick: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: There was no way they were making...
- Frankie Says: on Wheeler Deals, Mets Sweep Braves In Nightcap, 6-1: Today was a great day to be...
- letsgetreal: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Young,cowgill,baxter,bryd,brown,satin,duda,valdespin,lagares,dendekker,hoffman,niewenhuis,ankiel, we need real mlb outfielders to...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!