The Maine Thing To Remember Is…
Many thought it at the time, that when John Maine left that game in Washington after only five pitches that he was also leaving the Mets.
Maine came to the Mets in the Kris Benson deal as a throw-in, but emerged into a viable, productive pitcher. He won 15 games in 2007, but injuries, a weak shoulder and sometimes his attitude helped sabotage him. Maine never regained the form that brought optimism he might develop into something special.
I don’t think the Mets did him any favors last spring and he was poorly handled by Jerry Manuel and Dan Warthen, but Maine also didn’t bring much to the table the past two seasons.
A team weak in pitching, the Mets could attempt to bring him back at a reduced rate, but with the pitching market so thin, he’s liable to test the waters to see what’s out there. There’s no reason why he’d want to stay here anyway.
At one time, Maine represented potential and good things to the Mets – remember that game against the Marlins? – but now he personifies part of what went wrong. He represents unrealized dreams.
Of course, so does Oliver Perez, but the Mets are on the hook to him for $12 million and they have no other choice but to give it one more chance. With Maine, at a much lower figure, why bother?
As far as Dickey is concerned, the Mets will tender him and then work on an extension. They’ll probably want to see if last year was a fluke before giving him a multi-year contract.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Jimmy Pernil: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: LMAO MOFO Vaughn looks legit.
- Freddy A.: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: You can never lay all the blame...
- Scott Rice's Arm: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: I've pitched 25 games so far and...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: And Collins is the "ultimate Patsy" because...
- Christopher: on Mets vs Cubs: Davis Not In Lineup As Gee Looks For A Win In Rubber Match: Lagaras! Big hit. Let's go Mets! Wooooohooooo!
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!