Sandy Alderson Covered Lots Of Ground With Reporters This Afternoon
This afternoon, Mets GM Sandy Alderson spoke with reporters as he and his team readies themselves for the Winter Meetings which begin on Monday.
Regarding the Winter Meetings, Alderson said the following:
“I can guarantee you, we’ll come back with some good players. I can’t guarantee how high-profile they will be. Or how many. If nothing else, we’ll pick in the Rule 5 draft, just to say we brought a player back.”
Alderson also touched on many different topics and here is a brief rundown of what was said:
- The Mets have not offered any contracts to free agent pitchers Jeff Francis or Chris Young as had been reported by others.
- Johan Santana is on schedule to begin tossing a baseball in January. Once that happens, the team will have a better idea about a possible return date.
- There is no expectation that reliever Pedro Feliciano will be re-signed, and the team is moving on.
- Oliver Perez is expected to participate and be with the team during Spring Training, and there are no imminent plans to release him. Both Terry Collins and Alderson will watch Perez pitch in Mexico later this month.
- Regarding all the open spots in the bullpen, the Mets will fill those spots from within or with signing a one or two stop-gap measures.
- Jenrry Mejia and Ruben Tejada are best served starting the season in AAA because they need to develop. Also, Alderson made clear he will not use Mejia in the bullpen this year.
- The Mets are not completely ruling out bringing back catcher Henry Blanco. Alderson cited a lack of options in free agency and added there are no on-going talks with Blanco or any other catcher.
- The Mets will interview candidates for the hitting coach and they plan to announce the team’s new scouting director and new minor-league field coordinator.
- He said he will not have any extension talks with players before Spring Training, and that he is not looking to add multiple years on contracts that would hinder him for the 2012 season.
The last point pretty much predicts that R.A. Dickey will not get the multi year contract he was looking for, and that Jose Reyes may have to wait until the end of the 2011 season before he finds out if he will remain with the Mets, if he doesn’t get traded before then.
There’s a lot of stuff to digest here.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
- L.J. Phipps: on Could Mets Find A Potential Match With Tribe For Asdrubal Cabrera?: As much as I would like to...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Granderson Makes Good First Impression, Loves The Direction Of The Mets: So I take it youre not a...
- Donal: on Could Mets Find A Potential Match With Tribe For Asdrubal Cabrera?: I'd rather keep Murphy at 2B (or...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Granderson Makes Good First Impression, Loves The Direction Of The Mets: Lol.... More like Dice-BB for all the free...
- Bcleveland3381: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: Obviously, if you take Murphy off the...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!