From Left Field: The Mets Annual Christmas Party
Is the North Pole in Flushing? No, just Citi Field with a light dusting of snow.
Do Santa’s elves wear Mets jerseys? At Citi Field they do.
The Mets hosted their annual Christmas party Tuesday afternoon at Citi Field’s Acela Club. Roughly 100 school children from around the New York area attended to sing Christmas carols, enjoy a nice lunch, and receive a gift from Santa and his elves.
Once again, the club did a terrific job in making the day special for some local youngsters. The players seemed to enjoy themselves as well, sporting big smiles and laughing as they gave out the gifts.
“The Mets organization is great for putting it on, but I think it goes deeper than that,” said Wright. “I know it puts me in the holiday spirit, and I know it puts those kids in the holiday spirit. And dressing up as a symbol of the holiday season, that’s what it’s all about. I’ve always loved this holiday.”
Mets players and personnel graciously answered questions for television reporters, writers and even the bloggers that were present. The players, especially Beltran and Bay, are eager to get back out on the field and gear up for the 2011 campaign. The Mets face an uphill challenge this year, but with the right leadership and attitude, they might be able to turn a few heads.
I was able to talk to everyone there about their thoughts on the Cliff Lee deal, possible roster moves, the upcoming season and a variety of other topics. Stay tuned over the next three days as I will be posting highlights from each interview.
About the Author: Jim Mancari
Jim Mancari hails from Massapequa, N.Y. He recently earned a Master's degree in Journalism at Hofstra University. He is a devout Mets fan and takes pride in his team, despite their lack of success over the last few years. Like all Mets fans, Jim has plenty of hope. He also writes as the sports reporter for the Brooklyn Tablet newspaper and the senior editor of metroBASEBALL Magazine. Click my name to view my personal website.
- El Sid: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Let Ike Davis go down to Vegas...
- Joey D.: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: Hi Metsie, Geez, I thought I had just...
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: The above chart looks at all pitches...
- Paul's Mets: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Collins doesn't like the kid. He sets...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: He said he wasnt expecting that he...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!