Mack from the always informative Macks Mets, was gracious enough to answer a few questions for me last week on the “middle of the pack” Mets minor leagues.
1. Where do you rank the Mets Minor League System on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) in the following areas:
A) Starting Pitching: 4 – Lots of good talent but mostly SP5 material… Harvey, Mejia, and Urbina are only velocity guys.
B) Power Hitters: 5 – It did improve last year ( Lutz, Evans, Campbell, Maldonado) but still no real baby bull.
C) Potential Star Caliber Players: 8 – I count eight which, in my book, is a lot (Mejia, Havens, Tejada, Almonte, J-Rod, A-Rod, Harvey, Ceciliani)
D) Overall: 5 – But broken down further I would rank AAA/AA at a 2, and A+/below at a 8.
2. At what position do the Mets have the most quality depth and why?
It’s outfield, but that’s three positions. I’d say second base due to four quality B or higher prospects: Ruben Tejada, Reese Havens, Josh Satin (now playing 1B in winter ball) and Daniel Murphy.
3. Which Mets prospect took the biggest step forward in 2010?
A trick question… player that improved the most who isn’t a prospect… Dillon Gee
The prospect that took the biggest step forward… Lucas Duda
4. Which Mets prospect took the biggest step backward?
Brad Holt, followed closely by Jeuryrs Familia.
5. Lets have some fun. What will the 2013 Mets Opening Day Lineup look like?
- 1B David Wright
- 2B Dan Uggla
- SS Jordany Valdespin
- 3B Aderlin Rodriquez
- C Josh Thole
- LF Jason Bay
- CF Darrell Ceciliani
- RF Ike Davis
- SP Matt Harvey
6. Boom or Bust?
A) Wilmer Flores – Boom, but not in this league… will be AL DH.
B) Dillon Gee – Bust Gee’s finest hour might be last September.
C) Fernando Martinez – The boom/bust meter is being repaired and is on the 7-day DL, bust.
D) Brad Holt – Bigger bust than Matt Durkin
E) Reese Havens – Big time bust due to injuries, not talent.
7. Who is the best Mets prospect most Mets fans never heard of?
Tillman Thomas Pugh (huh?…. look em up)
8. The Mets will have the #13 pick in the 2011 June Draft. I know it’s early, but are there any solid players that will be there for the Mets? Who do you like?
Yes… but, the “Big 7″ will be gone… my guess is another Pelfrey-Harvey clone in RHP Matt Barnes, catcher Blake Swihart, or big time OF-3B bat Brian Harrison.
9. What is your opinion on Ruben Tejada as a starting second baseman for the 2011 season?
Wow… he turned 21 today… I think the Mets have handled him worse than Anderson Hernandez or Victor Diaz…. and he will become a great utility player behind others.
10. Which pitching prospect will have the better major league career, Jenrry Mejia or Matt Harvey?
For some of the best information on the MLB draft, the Mets Minor Leagues and dead people, keep it tuned to Macks Mets.