While everyone celebrates that Sandy Alderson is the new GM and that he said all the right things the Mets still need a manager. Unfortunately for us it looks like the Mets are going to be cheap with who they hire. Also Alderson doesn’t like spending money so that means Bobby Valentine won’t be the new manager. Hopefully it won’ t be Bob Melvin since that will just be another Jerry with less personality.
I believe Wally Backman is the only option for the Mets. Here’s why:
- Backman will be cheap, much like Willie Randolph was when he was hired. I believe Randolph didn’t cost more than $500,000.
- Backman isn’t a “big name” manager since he has yet to manage in the big leagues.
- Alderson in the best press conference ever said that he wouldn’t mind a fiery manager. Backman without a doubt is fiery and gets his players to play for him. Perhaps he can get Beltran to actually swing at a ball or run hard down the line. Miracles can happen.
- Alderson in his great press conference last week said he wants the new manager to be smart and analytical. What gets lost in his fiery reputation is his intelligence. Watching him manage the Cyclone’s this past summer you saw that he’s got a great baseball mind and knows how the game should be played.
- The fanbase wants him! The Mets aren’t going to spend this year, no big surprise there. I doubt they will eat the bad contracts of Beltran, Castillo and Perez. At least Wally can make the Mets a little fun to watch.
Now we all know the Coupons Wilpons want Backman as the manager. If the Sand-man hires him it makes it seem like the Wilpons forced him to. So what? Who cares how it looks? Besides Bobby Valentine Backman is best to manage the 2011 Mets.
I’d just feel sorry for Backman that his first season will be 2011 since this team the way it is right now most likely will finish 4th place again.