Alderson’s Big Test Will Be In Who He Hires As Manager
While everyone celebrates that Sandy Alderson is the new GM and that he said all the right things the Mets still need a manager. Unfortunately for us it looks like the Mets are going to be cheap with who they hire. Also Alderson doesn’t like spending money so that means Bobby Valentine won’t be the new manager. Hopefully it won’ t be Bob Melvin since that will just be another Jerry with less personality.
I believe Wally Backman is the only option for the Mets. Here’s why:
- Backman will be cheap, much like Willie Randolph was when he was hired. I believe Randolph didn’t cost more than $500,000.
- Backman isn’t a “big name” manager since he has yet to manage in the big leagues.
- Alderson in the best press conference ever said that he wouldn’t mind a fiery manager. Backman without a doubt is fiery and gets his players to play for him. Perhaps he can get Beltran to actually swing at a ball or run hard down the line. Miracles can happen.
- Alderson in his great press conference last week said he wants the new manager to be smart and analytical. What gets lost in his fiery reputation is his intelligence. Watching him manage the Cyclone’s this past summer you saw that he’s got a great baseball mind and knows how the game should be played.
- The fanbase wants him! The Mets aren’t going to spend this year, no big surprise there. I doubt they will eat the bad contracts of Beltran, Castillo and Perez. At least Wally can make the Mets a little fun to watch.
Now we all know the Coupons Wilpons want Backman as the manager. If the Sand-man hires him it makes it seem like the Wilpons forced him to. So what? Who cares how it looks? Besides Bobby Valentine Backman is best to manage the 2011 Mets.
I’d just feel sorry for Backman that his first season will be 2011 since this team the way it is right now most likely will finish 4th place again.
About the Author: Former Writers
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: I actually don't mind this move. ...
- kevin (kw_all): on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: im no Sandy sympathizer but this isn't...
- Peter S.: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: I don't think you should read into...
- MetsWatchman: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: You are totally not factoring in the...
- Joe D: on Listen To Me And Joe D. On The “Shouts From Shea” Podcast Tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUl3TSoUABs
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!