Is Backman Really The Best Choice Or Just A Gimmick?
I don’t see the Mets hiring Sandy Alderson plus Rick Hahn, as has been suggested. I believe the job is Alderson’s for the taking, which would enable him to help groom John Ricco to be his successor. I don’t think they’ll end up hiring one assistant GM (Hahn) when they won’t interview their current assistant GM. If they did, they’ll take a risk at losing Ricco.
Because of Logan White’s proficiency in scouting, I can see him joining Alderson.
Whomever, the Mets hire as their general manager, I’m beginning to think Wally Backman won’t be hired as their manager if the new guy has the autonomy the Wilpons have promised. I’ve seen several lists of the top managerial candidates and Backman hasn’t been on any of them.
I keep hearing about Backman’s spit and fire, but he’s not the only fiery personality out there, and that’s not the primary quality in a manager. The ability to motivate isn’t confined to yelling and over turning the food spread in the clubhouse. There’s also game management and dealing with player personalities.
Backman has not proven he can be that on a major league level, and with a team in transition such as the Mets a veteran presence is the best option. Like the general manager, I’d prefer a manager with a track record, one who could groom Backman by bringing him on as a bench coach.
This isn’t to say Backman won’t eventually become an accomplished major league manager, but I don’t believe this is the right time. There’s still too much for Backman to learn, and a rebuilding situation like the Mets isn’t the best place to start. I keep hearing about Backman’s fire and the ties to the 1986 championship team, but that sounds more and more like a gimmick hire.
I just don’t see a new general manager tying his success to an unproven manager.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that. I currently serve as an editor and senior staff writer for Mets Merized Online. Follow me on Twitter @jdelcos.
- Major Mangu: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: What u have to look at... is...
- Joey D.: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: Hi philipag, When a decision to rebuild is...
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on Reds vs Mets: Harvey Looks For Sixth Win, Hawkins Unavailable Today, Red Hot Byrd Batting Fifth: Tejada never touched home!!!
- Metsie: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: You can't be serious Dean.... Yankees current attendance...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: Uhhhh??? Easier to get to for you...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!