General Managers in Mets History
With the very welcome but not so surprising news that Sandy Alderson will become the twelfth general manager in the Mets 48 year history, lets take a look at the other eleven Mets general managers. I also included some notables from their tenure.
George Weiss 1962-1966 (Retired in November 1966)
- First ever Mets general manager.
- Hired Casey Stengel as manager.
- Signed Tom Seaver as an amateur free agent.
Bing Devine 1967 (Resigned in November 1967)
- Drafted and signed Jerry Koosman and Nolan Ryan.
- Lost 101 games and finished dead last in his only season.
- Returned to St. Louis as executive vice president and general manager.
Johnny Murphy 1968-1969 (Died from heart attack in January 1970)
- Named former Dodgers great and original Met Gil Hodges manager.
Led the Mets to their first World Series title in 1969.
Sadly, he did not live to see Mets defend their title and died less than three months later.
Bob Scheffing 1970-1974 (Retired in October 1974)
- Became general manager following the sudden passing of Johnny Murphy.
- Mets won the 1973 National League pennant, but lost World Series to the Oakland Athletics.
- Traded Nolan Ryan to the California Angels for third baseman Jim Fregosi.
Joe McDonald 1975-1979 (Fired in February 1980)
- Hired Joe Torre as Mets player-manager.
- Presided over the trade that sent Tom Seaver to the Cincinnati Reds, though it was mostly Donald Grant’s doing.
- Mets finished in last place two years in a row in 1977 and 1978.
Frank Cashen 1980-1991 (Stepped down in October 1991)
- Drafted and signed Mets right fielder Darryl Strawberry and starting pitcher Dwight Gooden.
- Acquired former MVP Keith Hernandez from St. Louis for pitchers Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey.
- Hired former Oriole second baseman Davey Johnson to be Mets manager.
- Traded Hubie Brooks and three others to Montreal Expos for All Star catcher, Gary Carter.
- Won the 1986 World Series with the best record of any team during the 1980s.
Al Harazin 1992-1993 (Resigned in June 1993)
- Built the worst team money can buy.
- There weren’t many positives.
Joe McIlvaine 1994-1997 (Reassigned in July 1997)
- Generation K – Pulsipher, Wilson, Isringhausen, never met expectations.
- Hired Steve Phillips as his Assistant General Manager.
- Developed Todd Hundley, Edgardo Alfonzo and Rey Ordonez.
- Traded All Star second baseman Jeff Kent and Jose Vizcaino to Cleveland for Carlos Baerga and Alvaro Espinoza.
Steve Phillips 1997-2003 (Fired in June 2003)
- Traded for Al Leiter, Mike Hampton, and All Star catcher Mike Piazza.
- Was forced to step down temporarilly due to a sex scandal.
- Won 2000 NL Championship but lost World Series to the Yankees.
- Drafted third baseman David Wright, pitcher Scott Kazmir, and signed international free agent Jose Reyes.
- Fired manager Bobby Valentine.
Jim Duquette 2003-2004 (Reassigned in September 2004)
- Replaced Steve Phillips as Interim GM
- Traded Mets top prospect Scott Kazmir to Tampa Bay for Victor Zambrano.
Omar Minaya 2005-2009 (Fired in October 2010)
- Ushered in “Los Mets” era with signings of Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran.
- Drafted Mike Pelfrey, Ike Davis, Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese and Josh Thole.
- Traded for All Star lefthanded starter Johan Santana.
- Won 2006 NL East Title, but lost to Cardinals in NLCS.
- Involved in several team controversies including Bernazard/Rubin incident, firing Willie Randolph, Beltran surgery fiasco.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Lifelongmetsfan: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: another start like this and it's back...
- Markcomic1: on Is Marlon Byrd Finally Coming Around?: fire collins please
- Branden: on Valdespin Won’t Let Criticism Lower His Self Esteem: I am regular reader, how are you...
- metsfaninparadise: on Prima Donnas and Clubhouse Chemistry: A Met Perspective: Lotta conservative people in baseball. Midwesterners...
- metsfaninparadise: on Prima Donnas and Clubhouse Chemistry: A Met Perspective: I don't believe it's anything beyond coincidence...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!