Wang and Prior Haven’t Recovered From Anterior Capsule Surgery
Johan Santana’s recovery from surgery to repair the anterior capsule of his shoulder, may not go as smoothly as some have suggested.
Comparisons were made to position players like Jorge Posada of the Yankees who had the same surgery and recovered just fine. But comparing a position player to a pitcher when it comes to shoulder surgery, is not a very good comparison in my opinion. An average starting pitcher throws a pitch at full strength about 5,000 – 6,000 times in one season counting warm-ups, spring training and bullpens. Comparing that kind of stress and workload on a shoulder to that of a catcher or first baseman is really an unfair comparison. It’s like comparing apples to oranges.
Two pitchers who have recently had the same surgery as what Santana will undergo, are Chien-Ming Wang and Mark Prior. Each of them have had a tear in their anterior capsule surgivally repaired. Unfortunately, niether have thrown a pitch ever since their procedures and are still recovering over 12 months later.
Of course, everyone is different and some players recover better than others. There’s a chance that Johan Santana could recover by April, but like Johan himself said yesterday, there’s also a chance that it could be October as well.
Santana is owed $72 million dollars over the next three seasons, and will earn $22.5 MM in 2011, a little less than 20% of the team’s payroll.
For everybody’s sake, lets hope Johan fares better than Wang or Prior. Santana’s recovery and rehab this Winter, will be one of the most closely monitored rehabilitations in recent history for the Mets. There’s a lot riding on it.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Alex68: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: I can live with that too... I...
- Major Mofongo: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Zach will be our future closer.
- Major Mofongo: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: Thank God for Omar building this complex... IMO...
- Social Network [x-MoBiLe] Nulled: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves...
- Alex68: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: And another thing, can we let the...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!