Johan Santana Needs Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Updated)
Update 4:35 PM
During the press conference, Howie Rose asked Johan Santana if he believed he would be ready to pitch by April. His response was,
“Who knows? Whenever I am ready and feel 100% that’s when I will return. I don’t know when that will be. It could be April or May or July, it may even be October. You never know, time will tell.”
Update 4:05 PM
The following is a press release from the Mets:
“An MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan yesterday revealed that Mets pitcher Johan Santana has suffered a tear of the anterior capsule of the left shoulder. The injury is located on the front and bottom part of the shoulder close to the pectoral muscle, resulting in discomfort radiating through both the pectoral muscle and shoulder. Santana will undergo surgery in the near future and we anticipate he will be able to resume throwing in the spring.”
Original Post 3:45 PM
Omar Minaya just announced that Johan Santana will have season-ending shoulder surgery and be out for the rest of the season.
An MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan revealed Santana had suffered a tear of the anterior capsule of the left shoulder.
The Mets also reported that Santana will resume throwing and be ready for the start of Spring Training next season.
According to Adam Rubin, the injury is located on front & bottom part of shoulder close to pectoral muscle, resulting in discomfort radiating through both pec and shoulder.
He finishes this year 11–9 in 29 starts, with a 2.98 ERA and 144 strike outs in 179 innings.
This is like a punch in the gut. I don’t even know how to react. I wonder how long Santana has been in pain and how long the Mets knew about it?
No word on when the surgery will be, but I hope it’s as soon as possible.
Get well soon Johan!
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Peter: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: First time I've ever read anything like...
- El Sid: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: 3-2 Mets! Nice walk by Duda and...
- Connor O'Brien: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Are CEOs involved in baseball ops? I'm...
- Rich from Lake Como: on Mets Will Need To Overpay To Attract Quality Players, But Will They?: .... and remember, for every overpaid free...
- Jimmy Pernil: on Rafael Montero To Make Spot Start For Las Vegas: has not*
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!