Nationals Phenom Stephen Strasburg To Have TJ Surgery
Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI on the right elbow revealed a “significant tear.”
Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but Rizzo anticipates the 22-year-old right-hander will need the operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation.
“As you can imagine, he was initially upset,” Rizzo said. “But he has really turned himself from being upset to being focused on his rehabilitation. He’s determined to get the surgery done and begin the process of rehabilitation.”
The No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft, Strasburg struck out 14 batters in a sensational major league debut in June. He is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 68 innings with the Nationals, who have kept him on strict pitch counts and had planned to shut him down once he reached about 105 innings.
This is a devastating blow to the Nationals.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Ojeda's Perm: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: Can I get an Amen? Jackpot! Bingo! I don't let...
- Christine: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: I place the blame for the Mets...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Why insulting??? Its the truth Keith Hernandez loved...
- blastingzone: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: If the mets had a good hitting...
- jessep: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Hotstreak - you're the one identifying people...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!