Minaya Explains Why He Didn’t Make Any Trades
Last night, Omar Minaya spoke with reporters about several factors that were in play as the trade deadline wound down yesterday.
He and the Wilpons have come under some heavy criticism for not doing anything to improve the team following four months in which not a single player was acquired from outside the organization. The Daily News points out that in contrast, the Yankees, who have the best record in baseball, added three players in the past 48 hours. The Mets who needed infinitely more help, added none.
“We’ve got to be careful giving up blue-chip prospects, looking at where we are in the standings,” Minaya said. “This year we have some pretty good (young) guys and another wave right behind these guys.”
Minaya explains more on his position and the stance the Mets took in this video from ESPN.
Meanwhile, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, writes that the Mets were winners yesterday.
For not doing anything, the Mets get a thumbs up. Sure, it would’ve been nice to dump Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo or Jeff Francoeur. Such a market simply didn’t exist. And rather than delude themselves into believing they had a chance to contend – five teams stand between the Mets and the wild card – they held on to Wilmer Flores, Jenrry Mejia and the rest of their top-notch kids. Patience in Flushing does exist, after all.
Finally, while I am a little disappointed that we weren’t able to add a starting pitcher yesterday, Pat Misch continues to excel in Buffalo with yet another tremendous start last night.
Misch had one of his best starts of the season, tossing eight innings of shutout baseball while only giving up three hits and striking out seven batters. With the win, Misch is now 10-4 with a 3.24 ERA.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Metsie: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Matt the metrics you used were not...
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Cabrera may actually be an excellent example...
- Peter S.: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: 100% agreed. At the beginning of the...
- Sims: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: Seems like the Mets are focusing a...
- Reed: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: I liked LoDuca too. He did make...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!