National Treasure – NL Ends Drought With 3-1 Victory
Finally, after 13 years, the National League ended their winless drought and beat the American League 3-1 in last night’s All-Star Game.
The Brave’s Brian McCann had the biggest hit of the night when he stroked a three-run double off of White Sox’ reliever Matt Thornton in the seventh inning. The long drive into the right field corner proved to be the turning point of the game and earned McCann the game’s Most Valuable Player honor.
Leading 3-1 going into the ninth, things got a little dicey for the NL with the Dodgers’ Jonathan Broxton on the mound. But after allowing a leadoff single to Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, rightfielder Marlon Byrd made a tremendous heads-up defensive play when he threw out the slow-footed Ortiz at second base after a bloop by John Buck dropped in front of him. Byrd grabbed the ball, turned and fired a bullet to second base to pick up the second out of the inning and avoided having the last remaining reserve, Alex Rodriguez, come into the game with the tying runs on base.
Ian Kinsler would fly out to end the game and earn Broxton the save. The Yankees’ Phil Hughes was the losing pitcher, while Matt Capps got the win.
Our own David Wright played 4 1/2 innings and picked up two hits and a stolen base before being replaced in the sixth inning by Scott Rolen. Wright has now hit in his fifth straight All-Star Game, the longest streak since Wade Boggs did it from 1998-2002. He is 6-13 and holds a .475 batting average in All Star play.
With the win, the NL will now have home field advantage during the World Series.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
MMO Mets Chat
- ImaginaryFigment: on A Deeper Look At Zack Wheeler’s Debut: It was really intelligent of the mets...
- TexasGusCC: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: Check out this article: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-harvey-overwhelming/
- ImaginaryFigment: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: U do realize that aside from striking...
- ImaginaryFigment: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: But the mets changed their dimensions...
- ImaginaryFigment: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: except this canadian team was not under...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!