Mets Won’t Move Francoeur Unless Overwhelmed
According to Andy Martino of the NY Daily News, the Mets are unlikely to deal Jeff Francoeur unless they are overwhelmed.
According to a person familiar with the team’s thinking, the Mets are naturally open to dealing Francoeur if a team presents an overwhelming offer, but view him as necessary insurance. The Mets do not want to be without a viable backup if Carlos Beltran, Angel Pagan or Jason Bay were injured.
Francoeur told the Daily News on Thursday that he wants a chance for regular playing time. “If there was an opportunity to play more somewhere else, that would be great,” he said. “I love it here, but if they decide to go in a different direction, I would be happy to play somewhere else where there is more playing time.”
It’s one thing when the Kansas City Royals or Arizona Diamondbacks say that they would have to be overwhelmed to move Zach Grienke or Dan Haren. It’s another thing, when the Mets say the same thing about Jeff Francoeur. Geesh, even I know that…
If the Mets are going to continue to overvalue their players to the point of insanity, once again the trade deadline will come and go without no significant addition as in years passed.
Somebody pass me the Tylenol.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Hotstreak: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Hi Joey D. Nobody but me can see...
- Captain America: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: Trade Montero etc for Owings. Then you...
- oleosmirf: on Mets Still Have A Lead-off Dillema: Everything I have read says that Franklin...
- oleosmirf: on Ike Davis Update: Brewers Still Unwilling To Part With Tyler Thornburg: I didn't know they still had options....
- El Sid: on Mets Still Have A Lead-off Dillema: At this point, we *needed* more pop...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!