Cliff Lee Won’t Help The Mets
Cliff Lee is one of the best pitchers in the game. Last year’s performance in the World Series was spectacular. Lee was brilliant against one of the best if not the best lineup in the game in 2 starts. The two games that the Phillies won were Lee’s in the Fall Classic.
It’s now 2010 and Cliff Lee is now a member of the Seattle Mariners. Lee is having an amazing first half for Seattle. In 13 starts this season Cliff Lee is 8-3, with an ERA of 2.34. Cliff Lee has walked 6 batters in 2010! 6 batters in 13 starts is just unbelievable. That’s as many walks as Oliver Perez allows in just 1 game. Cliff Lee has also pitched 5 complete games. This past Sunday Lee had the chance to pitch his 4th consecutive complete game but only went 8 innings as he threw 111 pitches. Lee did strikeout 8 batters though.
So after looking at the above how can Cliff Lee not help the Mets you ask? There are 3 reasons why:
1) Jerry Manuel: Manuel is just a horrible manager. His in game decisions more often than not make absolutely no sense. He will sit guys who are hot while playing guys who should not be in the starting lineup or in the majors for the most part. Manuel has no idea on how to use a bullpen. He refuses to make define roles in the pen, usually going by the moment. As long as Manuel is in charge there is just no way this team could win.
2) The Offense: This offense is very hot and cold. We’ve seen them explode and then the next day they can’t score more than 1 run. Look at last night’s game for example. They score 6 runs and then get shut down for the rest of the game. They can’t tee off against a pitcher pitching on 3 days rest. Jason Bay has been a huge disappointment so far. He has just 6 home-runs and is on pace to hit just 12 for the season. Francoeur is extremely streaky and could be hot for a week and half and then go on a 3 week cold streak. Barajas after his quick start has come down to earth and is not producing the way he once was. Lee can go out and pitch 9 shutout innings but if his offense cannot score runs he’s not going to help much.
3) The Bullpen: This bullpen is bad. There is no other way to describe it. K-Rod has had horrible control all season and walks far too many batters. I don’t care how sorry he is, he’s still blowing games and hurting this team. The rest of the bullpen is no better. Their arms have been burnt out by Jerry Manuel and are not reliable. Look at the 10 walk off loses the Mets have had. They are incapable of holding close games.
I would love to have Cliff Lee on this team if it was better. If this team was capable of winning it all I wouldn’t have no problems with trading Mejia, F-Mart or some other prospects to get him. It just doesn’t make sense to trade for Lee if the Mets are not going to be able to win. Better off keeping the prospects and hoping we strike gold with them.
About the Author: Former Writers
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- DrDooby: on Is Marlon Byrd Finally Coming Around?: One can certainly argue about keeping Reyes...
- ill_egl: on Prima Donnas and Clubhouse Chemistry: A Met Perspective: Good read. I enjoyed this post. It...
- ill_egl: on Is Marlon Byrd Finally Coming Around?: I feel the Beltran trade was one...
- DrDooby: on Is Marlon Byrd Finally Coming Around?: The 2011 payroll actually ended up right...
- DrDooby: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: Hefner is what he is. A pedestrian...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!