Jenrry Mejia Shutdown With Rotator Cuff Strain
** Latest Update Monday, 4:30 PM **
Mets top pitching prospect Jenrry Mejia has been diagnosed with a strain in his right rotator cuff.
Mejia, who was removed in the second inning of his start on Sunday, visited the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York Monday, where it was determined that he had a “posterior cuff strain.” The Mets said that Mejia will “return to throwing as tolerated.”
According to the Daily News, the posterior cuff is the back section of the rotator cuff, according to Dr. Bradford Parsons, who specializes in shoulders at elbows at Mt. Sinai Hospital. Parson, who has never treated Mejia, said that the diagnosis generally meant an “inflamed tendon or pulled muscle.”
A pitcher with Mejia’s injury typically rests and receives treatment for several weeks before being re-evaluated, Parsons said. Surgery is not usually seriously considered until that time.
Bad break for the Mets and with the trade deadline fast approaching, the timing couldn’t of been worse. Mejia was one of the Mets top trade chips and may now hinder their efforst to aquire a top of the rotation starter.
**** Original Post ****
Jenrry Mejia, now pitching for the Binghamton Mets, was removed in the bottom of the second inning from his start against the Akron Aeros this afternoon.
According to this tweet from the Akron Aeros via the Real Dirty Mets Blog, it appears he was removed due to an injury.
Actually appears that Mejia, who appeared in 30 games in relief for the New York Mets earlier this year, left the game with an injury.
We will follow this for you and update this post once we know more.
Mejia gave up a leadoff single followed by a walk when he was pulled after throwing his 44th pitch, and was starting on just three days rest.
Update 5:15 PM: According to SNY, Jenrry Mejia was removed from his start today for Double-A Binghamton with ‘right shoulder stiffness’.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- jessep: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: I think Ike's expectations are great because...
- Angelo: on Hefner Lasts Just Four Innings In Mets 8-2 Loss To Cubs: actually i never left really, just busy...
- Dave In Spain: on With Ike Davis Struggling, What Are The Mets’ Options?: p.s.- Another long-term possibility(not 2013 or 2014)...
- Dave In Spain: on With Ike Davis Struggling, What Are The Mets’ Options?: In the short term, the Mets could...
- Alan from AZ: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Nope....not gonna happen Timothy! If Valdespin is going...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!