Get Ready For The Mets Broadcast About Nothing
Tonight’s game against the Detroit Tigers will feature legendary comedian and lifelong Mets fan, Jerry Seinfeld, joining Keith Hernandez and Gary Cohen in the broadcast booth for at least three innings (and maybe more).
SNY’s vice president of production, Curt Gowdy, Jr. said the following regarding Seinfeld’s appearance on the telecast: “Jerry is scheduled for the top of the third inning, for at least three innings, and more if he wants to do more…There’s no set script.”
In addition, SNY also plans to air clips from the classic Seinfeld episode, “The Boyfriend”, in which Keith Hernandez played himself in a prominent role. Keith and Jerry will also be discussing their experiences working together on the episode.
As a Seinfeld fan, I was ecstatic to hear about the “reunion” of Jerry Seinfeld and Keith Hernandez and wondered what it would be like to have other Seinfeld cast members appearing on Mets telecasts. Then I thought of all the potential disasters that could cause (especially with the hipster doofus himself, Kramer) and instead came up with a Top Ten list of why Jerry Seinfeld should be the only cast member to appear in the broadcast booth. Enjoy!
TOP TEN REASONS WHY NO OTHER SEINFELD CAST MEMBER SHOULD EVER DO PLAY-BY-PLAY FOR THE METS
10. When the camera pans into the booth, there is a chance it could catch Elaine dancing.
9. Newman would run off with Keith Hernandez’s Tootsie Pops.
8. Upon entering the booth, Kramer would trip and take down the entire set.
7. George would mistakenly refer to the Mets as the Moops.
6. Fear that a bad call by an umpire would elicit a “No Soup For You” comment from the booth.
5. Kramer and Newman would spend the telecast plotting their revenge against Roger McDowell for his magic loogie. (Well, Newman would…)
4. Frank Costanza would repeatedly interrupt Gary Cohen to extol the virtues of Festivus.
3. Elaine would spend too much air time trying to determine if David Wright is spongeworthy.
2. No backup plan for when Newman spends three innings standing in line at Shake Shack instead of doing play-by-play.
…and the number one reason why no other Seinfeld cast member should ever do play-by-play for the Mets is:
1. Too much discussion on whether Keith Hernandez was ever master of his domain.
Be sure to tune in tonight to see the Mets play the Detroit Tigers at Citi Field. Of course, you were probably going to tune in anyway to see our beloved Mets as they continue to make a push towards the top of the National League East standings. But now you have another reason to watch.
Jerry Seinfeld and Keith Hernandez made a great team back in the ’90s on a classic episode of Seinfeld. Now they’ll be together again when they share the spotlight with Gary Cohen during Wednesday night’s telecast. It should be a true SNY Mets classic…not that there’s anything wrong with that.
About the Author: Ed Leyro
Ed Leyro was hatched in the Bronx, but spent most of his youth in Queens at Shea Stadium. Apparently, all that time spent at Mets games paid off as Ed met his wife (The Coop) for the first time at Citi Field during its inaugural season. Guess the 2009 season was good for something after all. In addition to his work at Mets Merized Online, Ed also owns, operates and is head janitor at Studious Metsimus, where he shares blogging duties with Joey Beartran. For those not in the know, Joey is a teddy bear dressed in a Mets hoodie. Clearly, Studious Metsimus is not your typical Mets blog.
- Teddy Klein: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: Can't we all just get along?
- Kyle: on Mets Will Need To Overpay To Attract Quality Players, But Will They?: You're plan doesn't overpay any free agents....
- Connor O'Brien: on MMO Exclusive: A Look Inside The Mets Dominican Complex: It really shouldn't matter. I was just...
- Neil: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Duda needs to ignore all the folks...
- Major Mofongo: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Beltran at the plate was a monster...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!