Road Woes, Last Place Mets and My Take on Greatest Announcers
Forgive the random thoughts here, folks, but I thought it was easier today to touch on a few things rather than elaborate on one thing.
The Mets continued their road woes last night with a 3-2 loss to the Braves, and are now 5-13 away from home, and 14-8 at Citi Field. Last year, they were 41-40 at home and 29-52 on the road, so it’s a pattern that has continued. Back in the ’80′s, it was easy to blame the partying players of that era on not sleeping enough and not being focused on the road, but that is certainly not so with this nice mix of vets and youngsters. So why they can’t get it done on the road with any consistency is a bit baffling.
Meanwhile, we sit here on May 19 at 19-21, 6 games back of the Phillies, and in dead last in the NL East. I think we knew this was possible, especially with such atrocious starting pitching, but the fact that the Nationals have a .500 record right now and are ahead of the Mets in the standings is extremely disturbing. Hopefully we can right that ship the next two games in DC. But surely, Omar and Jerry have to feel like their seats are heating up after such a great stretch when April turned into May.
Finally, I’d like to bring your attention to a piece I wrote last weekend for The Scores Report. Joe suggested I share it with you all, because as I was pontificating on Sports Illustrated’s list of the 20 greatest sports broadcasters, I couldn’t help but be the homer and prop up the trio of my childhood–Bob Murphy, Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner, as well as the awesomeness and professionalism that is Gary Cohen. Check out the list and my comments and let me know what you think.
That’s it, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
About the Author: Former Writers
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
- Teddy Klein: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: Exactly, if there weren't prospect lists or...
- Des: on Last Night We Saw A Big Chunk Of “The Plan”: Alex68 -- You have a...
- Teddy Klein: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: True, but do you think Becham can...
- TexasGusCC: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Alex, if this guy is more than...
- El Sid: on Mets vs Braves: Young Bats Leadoff, Byrd Hitting Cleanup, Marcum Searching For First Win: I prefer Profar. I wish Tejada got...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!