Halladay Throws A No-Hitter… Well That’s Just Perfect!
Last night, Philadelphia Phillies ace Roy Halladay threw the 20th perfect game in major league history, facing the minimum number of 27 Florida Marlins batters and retiring all of them in order in a 1-0 win. He struck out eleven of them.
It was without a doubt, the best performance of his All-Star career.
Halladay struck out 11, then got pinch-hitter Ronny Paulino to ground out to end it, and even though there were a couple of good plays behind him, Halladay didn’t need any great defensive work in this gem, it was pure perfection from baseball’s best pitcher.
I always thought the Mets would finally get that no-hitter, the one that has eluded the franchise for 48 years, after they traded for and the signed current ace Johan Santana. However, that would be kind of difficult to do considering the Mets reluctance to have him throw more than 100 pitches, pulling him even when he’s hurling a shutout like they did on Friday in a 0-0 game. It’s a topic I already spent too much time delving into yesterday.
Maybe, one day this year, God willing, we might get treated to a complete game shutout, or heck just a complete game. But given the hard stance of current management on pitch counts, don’t hold your breaths.
Remember when the big question during spring training was who was the better pitcher, Johan Santana or Doc Halladay? Last night we got our answer.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Hot Stove: Furcal Signs One Year Deal With Marlins, M’s Offer Cano $240 Million: Don't think Cano wants to be in...
- Metstheory22: on Hot Stove: Furcal Signs One Year Deal With Marlins, M’s Offer Cano $240 Million: And people here were going crazy saying...
- Markcomic1: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: I wish this were possible but, sadly...
- Rustyjr: on The 10 Worst Mets Pitching Staffs Since 1980: I'm surprised no team from '80-'83 made...
- the mad met: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Ive got a great trade for you...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!