Mets Playing Lucky 7
The Mets are undoubtedly the hottest team in baseball right now. They have the best record over their last ten games, going 9-1 on their recent homestand and winning seven in a row. And now, it’s off to Philly, where only one of two things can happen. Either the momentum of this seven game winning streak carries over against the Phillies, or eventually this team has to lose, and they do it now.
This series against the Phillies is more than just a fight for the division lead. It’s a chance for us to finally put a cork in their champagne bottle and let them know that we are once again a force to be reckoned with. This is the true test of whether or not this team is for real or if they’ve just been lucky.
The offense seems to have come alive with the arrival of Ike Davis. This kid has brought such excitement to Flushing, obviously more than the likes of Fernando Martinez and Daniel Murphy. Jose Reyes has returned with a vengeance, (although I’m still not sure how I feel about him batting third), which is a huge confidence booster for this team, especially since the return of Carlos Beltran seems so improbable in the near future.
The offense has greatly impressed me during this winning streak. They didn’t just score a couple of runs and stop there. They tacked on, even in the late innings, proving that they will fight ’til the end, which is what I want to see.
Mike Pelfrey has to be the biggest story so far this young season. Leading the majors with a 0.69 ERA and tied for second with four wins, Big Pelf is definitely a man I want throwing in Philly this weekend, along with our ace, Santana. And speaking of Johan, let’s not ignore his 2.88 ERA and three wins, appearing to be fully recovered from his off-season surgery.
This Mets team has definitely found themselves. And for a change, it’s the NY team that hails from Flushing at the top of their division, rather than the team from the Bronx.
Sweet, isn’t it?
About the Author: Former Writers
- El Sid: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Let Ike Davis go down to Vegas...
- Joey D.: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: Hi Metsie, Geez, I thought I had just...
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: The above chart looks at all pitches...
- Paul's Mets: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: Collins doesn't like the kid. He sets...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: He said he wasnt expecting that he...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!