If Charges Stick, Should Gooden Be Honored In August?
As most Mets fans know by now, former Mets pitcher Dwight Gooden was arrested yesterday after fleeing the scene of an accident. He was driving with his five year old son at the time and everyone involved was unharmed.
The story first broke on Deadspin so you can imagine all the delirious twists and turns the story has taken, and in a post to MetsBlog, Adam Salazar (Brooklyn Met Fan) cautions that much of what has been reported is inaccurate. That said, one thing that is very accurate is this list of what Gooden was charged with:
- Driving under the Influence of a controlled dangerous substance;
- Endangering the welfare of a child
- DWI with a child passenger
- Leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident
- Reckless driving
- Failure to keep right
- Failure to notify change of address regarding driver’s license
Of course, the first three “if true” are very disturbing and one would hope that Gooden has not succumbed once again to his inner demons which have plagued most of his adult life.
That said, all of us should let the entire process play out and withhold judgment until the time is appropriate and all the facts are out. That could takes days, weeks or even months depending on how Gooden’s legal team decides to proceed. For all we know, most of those charges could easily get dropped as they were based on the arresting officers perception. By the looks of what has been reported no sobriety tests were given and no blood/alcohol levels were indicated.
However, if the charges stick and Gooden is convicted of the most egregious of these charges, should the Mets continue with honoring him on August 1st when he will be elected to the Mets Hall of Fame?
According to Adam Rubin, a Mets source said they will not change plans for Gooden to be inducted into the team’s Hall of Fame on August 1st. He was expected to be honored along with Darryl Strawberry, Frank Cashen and Davey Johnson.
What are your thoughts on this matter?
If the charges stick, should the Mets still go ahead with plans to honor Dwight Gooden?
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Fusti10: on Ike Davis Could Be An Ex-Met By End Of Week: Colby Rasmus and Edwin Encarcion for Dillon...
- taskmaster4450: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: I doubt it. Collins is the ideal Yes...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: Another DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! Harvey, Montero and Syndegaard...
- Bob Walsh: on Striking Fool’s Gold With Granderson: You also might expect his HR to...
- taskmaster4450: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: "Jeff can think..." This point can be disputed.
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!