I May Be Bitter and Jaded, But….
I’ve always been a Mets fan. Well, since around 1970 or so…that’s as far back as I can remember. So even though many of you have read my work on there the last six-eight months about how frustrated and annoyed I am with the way the team has played and the direction they have gone in with personnel, a new season is upon us and optimism reigns supreme.
Let’s face it, every baseball fan loves opening day, not just because it’s a prelude to summer, but because every team is on a level playing field in the standings and anything can happen. Well, anything can happen within reason. As Mets fans, we’ve seen bad baseball over the years. Remember when the team was so bad that they needed to fabricate a slogan, “The Magic is Back?” It was laughable, but at one point that team (I think it was in 1980?) reeled off like 10 or 12 wins in a row, and the players started to believe that slogan even though they were woefully over-matched on the field.
The 2010 team is very much like the 2009 team, but hopefully without all the injuries. Still, there are a few holes—most of the starting rotation, parts of the bullpen, second base, catcher and first base are question marks. But really, if someone offered you Jason Bay, Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Johan Santana and K-Rod to start a team, you’d do that in a heartbeat, right? We have to hope everyone stays healthy and plays to their potential–big ifs, but there could be big payoffs too.
Stranger things have surely happened, and I’m just glad spring is here and we’re talking real baseball again. Now let’s do our best to strike some fear in the Phillies and the rest of the division.
About the Author: Former Writers
- mets/jets70: on The Beat Goes On: Signs That The Mets Are Back In Business: They spent some money . But they...
- Lareplus: on David Wright: Curtis Instantly Makes Us A Better Team: right! compare these guys to Willie, Hank...
- Lareplus: on Rule 5 Draft: Mets Select RHP Seth Rosin, Trade Him To Dodgers For PTBNL: would Dee Gordon be a decent utility...
- Ray Sadecki: on David Wright: Curtis Instantly Makes Us A Better Team: Hi salmon, I was one of...
- Hotstreak: on Rule 5 Draft: Mets Select RHP Seth Rosin, Trade Him To Dodgers For PTBNL: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/37487/f-mart-to-the-houston-astros
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!