Projected 2010 Opening Day Lineup Looks Formidable
With news that the Mets have signed catcher Rod Barajas, it certainly adds some punch to the bottom of the order that we didn’t have with Omir Santos or Henry Blanco.
Yesterday the Mets blogosphere was abuzz with the news that Jose Reyes will be the likely number three hitter at least until Carlos Beltran comes back.
It’s a good time to look ahead at the projected lineup for Opening Day.
1. Angel Pagan CF – The switch-hitting Pagan has the speed and on-base ability to pull it off.
2. Luis Castillo 2B – He may be a slug defensively, but you can’t deny his on-base prowess and bunting ability.
3. Jose Reyes SS – Reyes has the power to drive in runs, and gives the Mets 3 switch-hitters in a row at the top of the order.
4. David Wright 3B – With those three hitting in front of him, and Bay behind him, Wright can drive in 125 easily in 2010.
5. Jason Bay LF – Bay makes it all work. He gives the Mets much needed punch to replace Delgado, and his presence means more fastballs for DW5.
6. Daniel Murphy 1B – You have to go with Murph here because you don’t want to stack three righties in a row. Still, Murph should easily build on last years numbers and the presence of Jacobs will provide extra motivation.
7. Jeff Francoeur LF – A full season in a Mets uniform will mean a big year if he continues his 2009 second half numbers. It also shows how deep this formidable lineup truly is, even without Beltran who just makes them a juggernaut.
8. Rod Barajas C – How many NL teams can boast a number 8 hitter with 19 homeruns in 2009?
Things maybe looking up, Mets fans…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Markcomic1: on Words to the Wilpons: We Beg Of You, Sell The Team: I wish this were possible but, sadly...
- Rustyjr: on The 10 Worst Mets Pitching Staffs Since 1980: I'm surprised no team from '80-'83 made...
- the mad met: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Ive got a great trade for you...
- the mad met: on Mets Drawing The Line At Three Years, Granderson Wants Four: Riddle me this batman ..how come the...
- Jason bay: on The 10 Worst Mets Pitching Staffs Since 1980: 2009 no surprise there, 2007 no surprise...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!