Eh, What’s Up Doc? My 5 Fearless Predictions!
This morning, Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog writes,
“Yep, the Mets are up to something, and close to making a deal… fingers crossed.”
I would certainly hope the Mets are up to something…
With Ben Sheets now being the best option left in free agency, everyone suddenly thinks they are Nostradamus and are predicting that he is the Mets’ top target and that they will be making a strong push to sign him. Really? Well, DUH!!!
As long as everyone’s making predictions, let me peer into my crystal ball and see what the immediate future might hold for the Mets.
Joe D’s Five Fearless Predictions
1. This one is not really a prediction, but merely just overstating what you already know. The Mets “will” sign Ben Sheets, not because they love him, but because at this point they need to sign another big name for PR’s sake, and they need a number two starter. As I said, Sheets is the most talented pitcher left at this point, and when he’s healthy he’s a top ten pitcher. Health is always a concern, but the Mets will have to roll the dice and hope for the best.
2. The Mets will sign a 4th outfielder type that might include either Rocco Baldelli, Endy Chavez or Eric Byrnes. With Angel Pagan pressed into starting duty, the Mets will make sure they don’t make the mistake of letting Fernando Martinez languish on the bench again.
3. The more I keep hearing Carlos Delgado to the Mets, the more I believe they will instead sign Ryan Garko to platoon with Daniel Murphy. Garko can really mash lefthanded pitching. Signing Delgado and Sheets and Smoltz (read below) would be taking on way too much risk.
4. The Mets will probably add John Smoltz because he makes sense. He is versatile enough to work out of the bullpen, and can quickly jump into the rotation if the need arises. He’s a bulldog, even at 42 years old.
5. For some strange reason the Mets don’t like Rod Barajas even though one look would suggest that he’d make a lot of sense for the Mets. Dan Warthen and Jerry Manuel are not impressed with Omir Santos and blamed him for some of the pitching problems last season. Omar knows this, so he may have to look at the other Molina brother, Jose, or make his peace with Yorvit Torrealba.
Bonus Prediction – The Sheets thing wasn’t all that fearless, so let me conclude with this. Despite everything you may have read on this site or elsewhere, the Mets will make the post season in 2010 and possibly even win the division. Remember that you read it here first.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Benny: on MMO Fan Shot: A Temporary Solution for First Base: Ike has potential for potential.
- Benny: on MMO Fan Shot: A Temporary Solution for First Base: Does anyone know what Kendry's Morales is...
- Donal: on Carlos Beltran Agrees To Three-Year, $45 Million Deal With Yankees: The Mets need power. They have speed...
- Kevin Belickis: on MMO Fan Shot: A Temporary Solution for First Base: Lonely would be my first choice as...
- theonlymaskman: on Curtis Granderson Agrees To Four Year, $60 Million Deal With Mets: I posted several times asking that SA...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!