Could The Mets Use Eric Byrnes Or Rocco Baldelli?
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the Brewers have signed free agent left-hander Doug Davis to a one-year deal worth $4.25 million dollars with a $6.5 million mutual option for 2011. Davis was 9-14 with a 4.12 ERA in 34 starts with the Diamondbacks last season. The Mets never really showed any interest in the veteran southpaw.
Two former 2009 Mets outfielders have new home teams tonight…
First, Alyson Footer of MLB.com, reports that the Astros have signed Cory Sullivan to a Minor League Contract, and have invited him to Spring Training. And earlier today, Jeremy Reed signed a Minor League contract with the Blue Jays. With the Mets fourth outfielder Angel Pagan starting the season as the Mets everyday center fielder, I wonder who will make the opening day roster as the fourth and fifth outfielders?
One player the Mets might want to take a look at is Eric Byrnes, who was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks along with his $11 million dollar contract. The Mets could take a flyer on him for $400 K much as they did last year with Gary Sheffield. Prior to 2008, Byrnes was a very productive player and at 33 years old he is still young enough to rebound and return to form. He’s also great in the clubhouse.
Another option might be former Tampa Bay Rays phenom Rocco Baldelli. The former number one pick hit .253/.311/.433 with seven home runs and 23 RBI in 150 at-bats last season for the Red Sox. At 28-years old, Baldelli might be motivated to cash in on some of that promise he once had. The word is that the Yankees are hot on his trail.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: sorry ... wrong poster.
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Alex, The Rangers and Yankees (among other high...
- TexasGusCC: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: It should be Marcum. But, who...
- Matt Balasis: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Major, "trying a 1 size fits all approach"...
- Heybatter: on If Zack Wheeler Is In, Then Who’s Out?: Agree. Hefner can navigate through the order...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!