Nationals Sign Reliever Matt Capps
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, reliever Matt Capps has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Nationals, pending a physical.
ESPN’s Buster Olney reported that the deal is for $3.5 million for 2010, with a chance to make another $425,000 in performance bonuses. The performance incentives kick in at 40-65 games finished.
Capps has spent his entire five-year career with the Pirates, collecting 67 saves while posting a 3.61 ERA, but was non-tendered by Pittsburgh on Dec. 12.
Capps said he chose the the Nationals over the Cubs because general manager Mike Rizzo showed serious interest the moment he became a free agent. The possibility of being the Nats’ closer also weighed heavily in his decision.
The Mets had shown some interest, but not enough to compel them to make an offer.
The Nats have been very busy this off season…
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Major Mofongo: on Team Source On Wheeler: “He’s Ready”: Bingo !
- Padilla: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: If you remember Metsie, they tried that...
- Connor O'Brien: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Not understanding me Vinny. Ther were very...
- Padilla: on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: Ah, take the very very small sample...
- paula: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Mets Need More Time To Get Better...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!