Baseball America has just released its Top 10 Mets Prospects list and right-handed pitcher Jenrry Mejia has claimed the top spot.
1. Jenrry Mejia, RHP (ETA 2012)
2. Wilmer Flores, SS (ETA 2013)
3. Fernando Martinez, OF (ETA 2011)
4. Ike Davis, 1B (ETA 2011)
5. Brad Holt, RHP (ETA 2012)
6. Jon Niese, LHP (ETA 2010)
7. Reese Havens, 2B/SS (ETA 2012)
8. Josh Thole, C (ETA 2011)
9. Ruben Tejada, 2B/SS (ETA 2011)
10. Juan Urbina, LHP (ETA 2013)
I’m a little surprised that CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis and SP Jeurys Familia didn’t make the grade. I’m also concerned that our top prospect is getting hammered in the Arizona Fall League. There has even been talk that Mejia might even be better suited in relief than as a starter. Mejia has a 12.91 ERA and in 7.2 innings pitched he has allowed 14 hits, 9 walks and 11 earned runs. While many scouts have loved his stuff, the knock on him is that he’s more of a thrower than a pitcher.
Thanks to Adam Rubin for providing the information on his blog Surfing the Mets.