Rick Peterson Interview With MMO – Best Mets Moment!
- What was your favorite Mets moment?
- Is their an optimal number of innings pitched or a minimum body of work that a young pitcher should have before being promoted to the Major Leagues?
- Why are pitch counts so important?
- I assume you’re familiar with the Verducci Effect, what are your thoughts on it?
In this clip, Rick discusses his friendship with Willie Randolph, and how special it was to get within one out of the World Series with a rotation comprised of Tom Glavine, Steve Trachsel, John Maine, and Oliver Perez, who was called up from AAA and ultimately found himself pitching in game seven of the NLCS.
Rick explains how economics figures into the equation, but ultimately if a prospect is obviously better than someone already on the Major League roster, why hold him back?
Rick explains why it is essential to monitor a pitcher’s pitch counts, and that besides a decline in performance it’s also a matter of preventing injuries.
Rick totally shocked me when I learned that it was he who told Tom Verducci about the effects of increasing a pitchers workload too fast in his formative years.
I will post the rest of my interview with former Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson later this week.
We congratulate Rick and wish him the best of luck with his new team the Milwaukee Brewers. He inherits a staff with a great young starter in Yovani Gallardo, but also a staff with many challenges as well.
We are pleased to announce that Rick has agreed to periodically share his unique perspectives on pitching and baseball, as a contributing writer for Mets Merized Online. We are honored to have him share his insights with our readers.
Finally, for all of you aspiring pitchers out there, check out 3PSports.com to learn more about the importance of performance based behaviors and how they can help you improve your performance and minimize injuries.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on 2013 MLB Draft: Compiling & Analyzing 40 Mocks, Mets Consensus Picks: Teddy, I'd take Frazier, Meadows or Denney in...
- Padilla: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Gee Coach Mike its so simple it...
- Timothy: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Tejada has been excellent on defense. Best...
- Coach Mike: on Jose Reyes Is Running Again And Making A Rapid Recovery: Loved Reyes. When he got on base,...
- Coach Mike: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: That's one reason to keep Collins. Wrap...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!