Picking Up Putz Option Would Be A Waste Of Money
With all the problems the Mets have right now, why would they even consider paying almost nine million bucks to a setup man who hasn’t been effective since 2007?
We’ve been bashing Omar for over spending on players for the last three years, and now some of us would encourage him to engage in yet another disastrous signing? Haven’t we had enough of those already?
At a time when the Mets should be stocking up on value picks, throwing good money at a pitcher who is coming off surgery and has yet to prove he is healthy is sheer insanity. Especially when a healthier and more superior option like Joe Beimel can be had for less than $3 million dollars per season.
Of course Putz wants to stay with the Mets… He has 8.6 million excellent reasons for wanting to setup for K-Rod… Too bad that not one of those reasons is because he can actually help the Mets win a championship.
If there was no option hanging in the balance, Putz would be putting so much distance between himself and the Mets that you’d need the Hubbell telescope to see him. The bottom line is that no team will give Putz a closers job until he proves himself as a $2 million dollar setup man first next season. Enter the Mets and Putz’s newfound love for the setup job.
It’s bad enough that we overpaid tremendously for Putz last off season, especially when it was no secret that the Seattle Mariners were desperate to unload him. Additionally, he was damaged goods then, and now he’s even more of a risk.
If the first move Minaya makes this off season, is to pick up the option on J.J. Putz, strap yourself in for another bumpy ride in 2010.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Jimmy Pernil: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: You will wear 34W jeans by the...
- chipsny: on The 2013 Mets Are Suffering From A Lack Of Accountability: agree 100 percent,Collins needs to go,The players...
- Jimmy Pernil: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: PHILLIBAG- Stop buying into r@@cist media garbage...
- Christi: on Reds vs Mets: Harvey Looks For Sixth Win, Hawkins Unavailable Today, Red Hot Byrd Batting Fifth: Hello, I enjoy reading through your article....
- Christopher: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: Alderson has been to 3 world series...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!