This is an Epic Power Outage
While we all know how the Mets have suffered what has basically amounted to season-ending injuries for several players, among them arguably our two top sluggers in Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado, I don’t think any of us expected this power outage to be legendary. Because that’s what this is bordering on.
The Mets have 76 home runs through 132 games, putting them on pace for 93, their lowest total since 1992 when Bobby Bonilla led the team with 19. Gary Sheffield currently leads this Mets team with 10 (Jeff Francoeur has 11, but only 6 with the Mets), so it looks like our leader is on pace for 12 or 13, a number that harkens back to the ‘70’s.
And if it weren’t for the 2008 San Francisco Giants, who had 94 homers (the lowest total and only mark under 100 of the new millennium), this Mets’ power or lack thereof would really be a black eye in the record books. It still might be, as it’s quite likely the tally can be between 85 and 90, depending on if Beltran comes back.
So for all of the bad things that have happened to our Mets this season, the lack of home runs is possibly the most insulting, most disturbing and utterly forgettable trend we’ve seen. It’s even magnified by the fact that this team has the second-highest payroll in the game. By comparison, those guys across town have hit 207 homers, and even the lowly and small-market Pirates and Royals are over 100 at this point.
I know I’ve written about this subject before, and I’m not worried about this being a problem in 2010 (yet), but you have to admit these numbers are just baffling, and we might not see a power outage like this for another 30 years.
About the Author: Former Writers
- SaltyGary: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: You know it's a great move when...
- Vin: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: "Colon brings a lot to the table"...
- Captain America: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: You like Colon? I believe it...
- Trs86: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: You missed the point. They can...
- Just Some Internet Guy You Dont Know: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: I don't know about contention because that...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!