Sheffield Out For The Season
On Saturday, Jerry Manuel said that Gary Sheffield (back spasms) likely will not play again this season. It’s kind of strange when you consider that the Mets had an opportunity to get something in return for Sheffield on August 20th when he was claimed on waivers by the San Francisco Giants.
The Giants were in the market for a righthanded bat off the bench, a role that Sheffield could have certainly filled.
The Los Angeles Dodgers had just traded two minor league prospects to the Nationals for Ronnie Belliard who was only batting .246 with 6 HR and 24 RBIs. So you would have expected at least as much for Sheffield who was batting .280 with 10 HR and 40 RBIs.
Sheffield was upset when he learned that he could have finished the season playing for a contender and could have helped his chances to play one more season in 2010 with the added exposure.
Instead, the Mets chose to pull him off waivers. Since August 21st, Sheffield has started just two games and he is now finished for the season.
He is a Class B free agent, but the Mets will not get anything in return for him as they will not offer him arbitration.
What a comedy of errors…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Des: on Mets Will Meet With Agents For John Axford and Kevin Gregg: Murphy is a keeper. He's too...
- Hotstreak: on Mets Sign Bartolo Colon To Two-Year, $20 Million Deal: I call you having a double standard...
- mets/jets70: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: the mets have spent close to 38...
- Hatt Marvey: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Just think about how much Keith is...
- Hatt Marvey: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Hes been on the DL running over...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!