Jerry Koosman Sentenced To Six Months For Tax Evasion
According to an Reuters report, a federal judge on Thursday sentenced former major league pitcher Jerry Koosman to six months in prison for not paying his taxes.
Prosecutors say Koosman, a former All-Star who helped the New York Mets win the 1969 World Series, didn’t pay federal income taxes for 2002, 2003 and 2004. He pleaded guilty in May to willfully failing to file taxes for 2002, a misdemeanor, in a deal with prosecutors.
U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb found that Koosman cost the government as much as $80,000. She could have sentenced him to a full year in prison but chose to cut that in half and add a year of supervised release, during which probation agents will closely monitor his finances.
Tough break for Koosman who is 66 years old and living in Wisconsin. If it’s one thing you should never mess around with, it’s the IRS.
Apparently, as if the six month sentence wasn’t enough, the judge scolded Koosman for taking advantage of all the opportunities the United States offered him, including the chance to play major league baseball and win a World Series.
His attorney, Robert Bernhoft, argued that Koosman deserved probation, pointing to letters to the judge that described him as an honest, reliable, naive farm boy. Koosman put his professional baseball career on hold to serve in the military, has performed too many charitable acts to list and never looked down on people of “lower station” even though professional athletes often act aloof and arrogant, Bernhoft added.
The judge told Koosman to report to prison on November 3rd which is kind of sad that he’ll be spending the holiday season in jail.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Timothy: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: He selected the wrong manager, but I...
- I Stopped Watching: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: This is a joke.
- Matt Mosher: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Manuel and Collins have been awful. Putrid.
- Mike Lloyd: on Braves vs Mets: Dillon Gee Opposes Mike Minor In Tonight’s Second Game: Anyone who thinks Alderson is doing a...
- John: on Mets Hitting Coach Says Davis Needs To Work Out Slump In Majors: Wake up Mets. Davis isn't in a...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!