White Sox Get Alex Rios, Give Up Nothing In Return
Brace yourself my friends…
According to the Tyler Kepner of the New York Times, the White Sox have acquired Alex Rios from the Blue Jays.
It’s a straight waiver claim, so the Blue Jays will receive nothing in return. Says Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi:
“This allows us to get out from under a contract and do more to address our club.”
ESPN is now confirming.
Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios has been claimed off waivers by the Chicago White Sox, sending him to a contending team and giving Toronto financial flexibility.
Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi announced the move Monday night, about 30 minutes before the Blue Jays were scheduled to play the New York Yankees. Rios was in the initial starting lineup when he learned the news.
Toronto did not receive any compensation for the two-time All-Star, who is batting .264 with 14 homers and 62 RBIs in 108 games.
Chicago began the night three games back of the Detroit Tigers in the AL Central.
The 28-year-old Rios is owed about $60 million dollars over the next six years, which will take him through the 2014 season with a club option for 2015.
I think you all know my thoughts on Alex Rios, so I won’t go there. Needless to say, I am very disappointed. I guess this proves that the Mets and the Wilpons are flat broke.
UPDATE: Thanks to Amazin86er, for letting me know that waivers goes last to first per league, and not overall. So, the Mets couldn’t have claimed him unless he passed through the AL first. That said, in July I wrote that Rios could be had for a marginal player as the Blue Jays wanted to shed his contract. The Mets could have gotten him for nothing at the deadline and didn’t, so it’s clear that the money was an issue and will continue to be an issue from now on.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- Brendan: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: The more I see the Mets hitting...
- RKH: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: Well this certainly is not good news....
- DrDooby: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: If the Mets were contending, then yes...
- DrDooby: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: From 1989 where things started to derail...
- Lareplus: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: Terry should have brought in Parnell. ....
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!