The 2009 Mets: What’s Not To Love?

An article by posted on August 9, 2009

If you want to talk about underwhelming, just take a look at Bobby Parnell’s debut as a starting pitcher…

Against one of the worst teams in the league, Parnell would only last two and a third innings pitched, and allow two runs on four hits, three walks, and a hit batsman. He struck out just one batter.

Last week when it was revealed that Parnell would join the rotation, I asked,

How can you be a starter, when all you’ve thrown all season was a fastball 90% of the time, and curve ball that isn’t very good the other 10% of the time?

Bobby Parnell himself corroborated my concerns during the post game.

“I overused [the fastball],” Parnell said. “You can’t go out there and try to beat a team with one pitch.”

So who’s next? Brad Holt or Jenrry Mejia? Bobby Ojeda or Ron Darling?

Since the All Star break, the Mets are 9-14 while the Washington Nationals are 13-11, and the Nats are currently one of the hottest teams in baseball and riding a seven-game winning streak.

At that rate, the Mets should be firmly entrenched in last place by September 5th.

Last place… wow…

The Florida Marlins… $37 million dollars.

The Washington Nationals… $60 million dollars.

The Atlanta Braves… $96 million dollars.

Seeing all of them finish ahead of the $145 million dollar Mets… EMBARRASSING!

 (In a priceless sort of way!)

I wonder if I can send that in to Master Card….

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.