Mets Drop Opener To D-Backs, 7-4
The Mets current west coast swing through the basement of the National League’s Western Division is becoming a difficult one. After losing three of four to the Padres over the weekend, the team dropped the opener in a three-game series to the Diamondbacks last night, 7-4.
In his first stop since his wife gave birth to a baby boy, starting pitcher Mike Pelfrey struggled, and the Mets found themselves in an early hole. They made a bit of a run, but it was never enough and the Diamondbacks quickly put the game out of reach again.
Trailing 4-0 in the fourth, the Mets cut the deficit in half with a two-run triple to centerfield from Fernando Tatis. But with only one out, Daniel Murphy and Omir Santos were unable to bring him home.
Still, Pelfrey and the Mets were back in it.
The Diamondbacks re-took control, though, starting in the fifth, when a Chad Tracy run-scoring single made it 5-2 in the fifth.
Then, in the seventh, with Elmer Dessens now pitching, Trent Oeltjen drove a home run, and Miguel Montero added an RBI double to make it 7-2.
A double by Anderson Hernandez and single by Angel Pagan added two mostly meaningless runs in the ninth, as Doug Davis (7-10) got the win.
In all, Pelfrey (8-8) allowed five runs on eight hits in six innings. Part of the problem with last night’s contest was the start he got off to. Doubles by Montero and Davis accounted for three runs in the second, and Tracy singled home Montero in the third to make it 4-0.
The series continues this evening at 9:40 p.m. with Livan Hernandez (7-6) faces Max Scherzer (6-6).
Editor’s Note) Paul Zinn originally wrote this for Mets Fans Forever
About the Author: Former Writers
- Met Maniac: on So Where Are All Those Moneyball Players?: Ahhh, this reminds me of the good...
- Major Mofongo: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-mets-tickets/mets-vs-yankees-5-27-2013-4169169/ Look at this example when looking for tickets...
- Sach: on Mets Are Ten Games Below .500 – It’s Starting To Feel Like 1978: Nice post Joe D. I only watch...
- Kyle: on The 2013 Mets Are Suffering From A Lack Of Accountability: It's the managers job to keep the...
- Hans: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: Yeah, but he's a good teammate!!! They can't...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!