Too Late For The Mets To Sell High
About a month ago I broached the unpopular vision that if the Mets fell out of contention by the all-star break they should become sellers. Stop putting patches on the holes, but fill them permanently.
According to another Mets site I was being “drawn and quartered,” by fellow bloggers.
Anybody remember? Anyone want to get onboard with my radical, ahead of the curve thinking?
Too late, no other major league team would want the Mets rancid groceries now.
On Wall Street its called “Selling High,” but the front office has missed the boat. I can’t really blame them. Who in their right mind would consider trading Carlos Beltran with the first half he was having?
It was just food for thought, that’s what a blog site is about, but the venom that was spewed, Tusk tusk.
Moreover, Omar Minaya would have been the one shredded to ribbons, not me. However, in hindsight (20/20) having a trio of healthy bodies, such as Clay Bucholtz and Jacoby Ellsbury, and another, might have helped save the season.
Right now there is nothing to sell and nothing to buy. The Mets fans are asked to support a team of backups and David Wright (you are right Joe, he looks, and is worn out-who wouldn’t be).
How long before Johan Santana flips his wig? And, what if Oliver Perez walks 6 in 4 innings tonight? Basically, how low can this franchise go. All the way to the doorstep of Washington DC, that’s how far.
This team is unwatchable right now.
About the Author: Doug Branch
Doug has been sports writing since 1983. He first wrote about the Mets at spring training that year, and his first interviewee was surly catcher Ron Hodges. He currently writes for Mets Inside Pitch, among other magazines published by Scout Publishing-which is owned by Fox Sports. He began following the team during the Wes Westrum era, and redeemed many Borden milk coupons for free Saturday baseball. The night of Tom Seaver's imperfect game against the Cubs, he was in line to buy a ticket when the windows slammed shut and abject disappointment ensued.
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Shh. And don´t tell them that Alderson...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Satin is the prototype organizational Quad A...
- Sach: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: The Mets should have been playing Flores...
- DrDooby: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: Since Flores won´t have much trade bait...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!