Mets Notes – Beltran To DL, Two Bullpen Moves, Bizarre Lineup
Here is a recap of all that has transpired this afternoon.
To begin, Carlos Beltran was placed on the disabled list with a right knee injury that the Mets are calling a bone bruise. Beltran, had an MRI on his ailing knee this morning at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, and the Mets expect him to be back after the minimum time on the DL.
Omar Minaya said,
“The bruise was getting bigger in size and we had to place Carlos on the DL. We believe he will be back and ready to play once the fifteen days are up.”
Carlos Beltran will be replaced in center field by Jeremy Reed tonight, who will bat seventh in tonight’s lineup against the Cardinals.
The Mets have recalled top prospect Fernando Martinez from Triple-A Buffalo to replace Beltran on the roster. Martinez had just been sent down only three days ago. It’s not clear if Martinez will play centerfield moving forward.
The Mets made a number of moves and shook up the bullpen as well today.
Shortstop Wilson Valdez and reliever Ken Takahashi were both optioned to Triple-A Buffalo, and relief pitchers Elmer Dessens and Pat Misch were called up.
Pat Misch was a recent waiver wire pick up and had a 6.43 ERA for Triple-A Buffalo.
Elmer Dessens was 3-2 and had a 2.31 ERA for Triple-A Buffalo.
Tonight, the Mets will send Tim Redding to the mound and it could be Redding’s last start before heading to the bullpen when John Maine is activated next week. Maine is the starting pitcher tonight for St. Lucie.
Here is tonight’s Mets lineup:
- Alex Cora – SS
- Daniel Murphy – 1B
- David Wright – 3B
- Fernando Tatis – LF
- Ryan Church – RF
- Omir Santos – C
- Jeremy Reed – CF
- Luis Castillo – 2B
- Tim Redding – RHP
Wow, Tatis is batting cleanup… Where is Gary Sheffield?
Lets Go Mets!
About the Author: Rob Johnson
- Jimmy Pernil: on Series Preview: Here Come The First Place Atlanta Braves: lol @ 4 flats on the Wheeler...
- Doug: on Braves vs Mets Preview: Amazins Have Tough Assignment Against Medlen In Opener: "I don't answer to the [Mets] fans."...
- Doug: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Sandy has 3 world series appearance on...
- Connor O'Brien: on It’s Not The Approach That’s The Mets’ Problem, It’s The Execution: Pitch selection requires patience is my point.
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Dave, I see youre still taking...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!